Good Morning + Happy Saturday!
I haven’t had a Saturday morning to myself in weeks (possibly months), so I really wanted to take it easy this morning and treat myself to a restaurant quality breakfast. Don’t get me wrong, VOO is quite the morning treat, but sometimes nothing hits the spot better than a giant stack of pancakes hot off the frying pan. A tall stack of Yogurt + Almond Milk Banana Pancakes for One that you get to be greedy with to be exact.
I based my pancakes off of Angela’s Healthy Spelt Pancakes for One and made a few modifications. The result?
Yogurt + Almond Milk Banana Pancakes for One
- 1/2 c spelt flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal (had to sneak it in somewhere!)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c goat yogurt
- 1/4 c almond milk
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Banana slices (as many as you want!)
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in goat yogurt and almond milk. If batter looks too dense, add extra almond milk to thin it out (I ended up adding a few extra splashes of the almond milk).
- In a non stick frying pan on medium-high heat, add coconut oil and carefully scoop out batter into small mini pancakes. While the pancakes are cooking, add banana slices (mine were frozen, but I don’t think it makes a difference either way!) and flip when bubbles start to show up in the batter.
- Flip, and try to resist the scent of pancakes and caramelized bananas. Don’t overcook this side! Pancakes are ready when the other side lifts off the pan easily (this will take less time than the other side).
- Angela suggested adding a pinch of sea salt. Adding salt is always something I routinely forget to do. Since I forget it so often, I didn’t notice it missing in these pancakes but I’m sure that the salt would have added an extra “something” in the pancakes that I wouldn’t have realized I was missing.
- You could substitute the spelt with whole wheat or all-purpose flour and I’m sure they’d still be amazing!
As a topping, I sprinkled some coconut and added some apricot syrup by mixing together apricot jam + coconut oil, microwaving it for 15 seconds and then thinning it out with some boiling water.
The bananas were incredible in these pancakes! Next time, I will jam pack even more in and maybe even nix the syrup.
Oh yes, there will be a next time.